Pages

Sunday, March 23, 2014

2014/03/22 Class - get lower, take larger steps

"The ultimate aim of karate lies not in victory nor defeat, but in the perfection of the character of its participants."-Gichin Funakoshi (1868–1957) 

武藤忠師先生, 昆先生

Kihon
Kumite
Kata

Kihon 

We did basic punches and kicks, middle and high levels. Muto-sensei said my punches are looking good. I think he tries hard to give us confidence.

Tips: 


  1. Shuto uke -Make sure you keep your hand and arm from the elbow out in a straight line, as if it were indeed a knife or a sword when doing shuto uke.
  2. Zenkutsu dachi - make sure your front knee is bent slightly inward (flex your leg muscles to pull your legs in) so that if you get kicked your leg can flex? in or your can easily move your knee in?


Kumite

This day's kumite wasn't as good as the last time. I felt distracted and couldn't concentrate.

Kata

Heian Shodan, Heian Nidan, Heian Sandan.

Muto-sensei had us white belts do extra work on Heian Shodan. We went over it 4 or five times. Hannah even had a chance to practice it as if it were a test but she couldn't remember any of it. She can somewhat follow someone when they do it though and learning the embusen (演武線) and how many steps there is is half the battle to being able to recall all of the moves.

Notes and Tips

Shuto uke in Heian Shodan is chudan. Must take much larger steps and be in a lower stance. The entire Kata should take about a minute or less to complete.

Aspen's moves are small and it looks as if he only has three moves. Gedan barai, oizuki, and uchi uke. Of course, we don't do uchi uke in Heian Shodan. I have since been helping him get his basic moves done right, or at least better.

First we worked on the tetsui (hammer fist strike?) done on the third step of Heian Shodan. I told him to make the movement big, to bring his arm in a big circle and stop as if you were hitting someone on top of the head (little bunny foo foo).

Next I have tried to instruct him how to do gedan barai and shuto uke. I told him to start both with his hand up by his ears and make the movement big.

He just wants to play and have fun, just like all the other kids. He is starting to listen to me better. Yesterday I had him go thru Heian Shodan once and asked him if it was ok if I were to give him advice. He did pretty well but forgot to do hammer fist strike. Next I asked him to watch me and give me advice. He said that I should keep my hands as fists when doing age uke. This was a good idea, I thought. He just told me another point where he is making a mistake. In our style of karate, during age uke you have to open your hand from a fist after the block so that it is easy for you to grab the attacker's hand after the block. I was able to tell him this but I doubt he'll be able to recall this and all the other points he needs to work on. 

The best thing about doing Karate is that little by little, Aspen and I are getting closer together and fighting less. The sensei we have are very patient and continue to help me and give me advice on being patient with the kids. Karate is helping me more than I ever thought it would.