Pages

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

2014/04/23 - Kumite! Age uke to gyakuzuki koshin

武藤忠 師範 八段/Tadashi Muto-sensei, Kon-sensei (Wednesday/ 6:30pm)

Kihon
Kumite
Kata

Kihon  

(basic drills) was short today and we moved into Kumite fairly quickly.  Hannah sneaked away immediately and didn't do any kihon at all. Aspen did them all but he looks as if he is not trying to do them well.  With Aspen, it is hard to tell if he is purposely slacking off or if he just doesn't know any better.  I can rarely read his expressions correctly.  I need to think of some creative ways to get him to work hard and to help him improve his form.

Age uke / gyaku zuki koshin

This is one of those combinations sometimes done during kihon that I just haven't yet figured out.  I know it's simple, but I've never been taught it and haven't had the chance to or have forgotten to ask someone to show me how.  I think I got my head wrapped around it, now I just need to practice it before class.  I feel pretty silly not being able  to do it.  It's a rising upper block (not sure on the English terms) to a revers punch (gyaku zuki) while moving backwards (koshin).

Kumite

This was the main dish.  It was a Wednesday.  Next Saturday we will have one more practice with a different sensei before the tournament on Sunday (9:30 am ~ Obihiro Sogo Tai'ikukan).  Because the tournament is so close, we have been spending more time on sparring (kumite) and less time on basic drills.  Muto-sensei told the other members not to hold back.  He told them they could hit me as hard as they wanted to and to treat the free sparring as if it were a real match.  Nobody hit me hard but I did get hit.  Sometimes I didn't even see it coming, I just found myself with a fist in my face.

Aspen still seems to be doing the sparring with his fists down.  I don't know why he does this.  It seems like his doesn't even notice how everyone else looks.  I have to keep reminding myself that, next to his little sister Hannah, he is the youngest person there.  He acts strange during kumite practice.  I can't tell why.  And of course he can't tell me why either.  Not that I've asked.  Patience.  I need to have patience.  He is only 7, and probably was too young to start anyway.  I kinda wish I would have started him a little later.  Maybe a year later.  But then again, I think, that he might have gotten caught up in some other sport and not have even wanted to start if I hadn't.

Kata

We did all the Heian kata and that was it.  We didn't do any other kata.  Muto-sensei spent some time trying to put some fire in the members.  Many of them are just too young I think.  Not to young to practice, but too young to have a passion for it.  He was trying to impress on them the importance of training on your own.  He said "Nobody ever became a black belt or a champion just by going to club practice alone."





武藤先生のHPはこちらです。Here is Muto-sensei's homepage and blog.  It is interesting, I never hear anyone call him Sensei or even by name in our small group.  He has not updated his HP for more than 6 months so his provider is inserting ads into the pages.
http://shibukan1.web.fc2.com/