Pages

Saturday, April 26, 2014

2014/04/26 New and refreshing

Niida-sensei

Today's practice was 4 hours long and I'm exhausted.  I hope the kids aren't too tired tomorrow for the tournament.

Today we had a young sensei come from the neighboring city about 2 hours away to teach us in place of Muto-sensei, who had to go judge a belt test at another sensei's dojo.

I am told he has won championships in Japan, England and America.  I think his name is Iida, but it might be Niida. His last name is Niida. 新井田

Kihon

Instead of the usual straight punch, he had us do jodan straight punch (punch to the chin).
Ido Kihon
We did gedan barai, 20 times.  I think he was watching us closely for ways he could give us advice.
He instructed us on how to do Kibadachi.
Kibadachi  - don't step with TOO wide a stance. He said not to bend the knees forward but to push the legs outward (bow legged?) and to make sure to keep our upper body straight and not to lean forward.
 How wide is too wide he didn't define.  He just showed us.  He had lots of advice but wasn't very eloquent. Kibadachi - yoko keage, yoko kekomi.  We did this about 20 times each.

Kumite

We didn't do any san bon kumite or Ippon kumite.  We practiced doing straight punches to the chest from a bouncing stance with Kiai on every punch.  We practiced doing jabs (left foot left fist / then right foot right fist) from the bouncing stance.  We practiced counter punches/gyakuzuki to a jab from the bouncing stance.
We practiced kicking mawashigeri from this fighting stance.  One to jodan, one to chudan, and one ura-mawashi-geri.  I'm not sure what this kick is called.  I'm pretty sure he called it "ura", which means underside or backside.
From looking at Youtube videos, this looks like what it is called.
裏回し蹴り(uramawashigeri)- from a staggered stance, bring your knee up as if for a front kick then across your body and do a back roundhouse kick.
Unfortunately, I cannot yet do a high kick (jodan) so I just practiced chudan mawashigeri and ura mawashigeri.
We did ten of each on one side with the back leg (20 kicks) and then ten of each on the other side with the front leg (from a staggered stance).

Real Kumite

After sparring practice, the room was quickly set up for a "real" sparring match.  All of the kids were paired with another as opponents.  Tape was put down on the floor to mark the boundaries.  Chairs were brought out for corner judges (4 corner judges, 1 main judge), there was timer with a buzzer and the time was called out.  They sparred just like it would be for the tournament tomorrow.

Aspen went first.  It was his first time ever.  He got kicked in the head in the first few seconds and his opponent scored an ippon (3 points).  She chased him around the floor after that and he tried hard not to get kicked in the head again.  He tried kicking but wasn't anywhere near close to hitting her. He needs to get closer.  He needs practice making contact with his kicks and hits.  He tried to sneak a few punches in low but again was too far away to connect.  I bet it was a real eye opener for him.

Kata,
We practiced the Heian Kata with Kon-sensei.


Heian Nidan

I asked Niida-sensei to look at my Heian Nidan kata.  I told him I was often off balance, especially when turning around.  He advised me to keep my upper body axis always in the same plane and not to lean forward or back.  I also watched his footwork as he showed me how to do it.  He would bring his feet together once first before continuing into the full stance (zenkutsu dachi / kokutsu dachi) even when turning around backwards doing shuto uke.  I know I have a tendency to lean forward.  I need to concentrate on keeping an axis, a center from which to rotate around.

On the first movement in Heian Nidan he advised me on how to bring my fists up.  Left hand is a back hand block, blocking a straight punch to the head.  Right hand comes up doing a block kinda like age uke.
The next movement is to capture an arm or a punch in between the left and right arms as if you were going to try and break their arm or hurt their elbow.

Kon-sensei's understanding of the meaning of the movements is sometimes slightly different than other sensei's.  Actually, each of the three sensei's I've worked with now have given me different explanations.  With a fourth one in the book in bought.  I was advised by both Niida and Kon not to twist my body (like in the book) and just to move the arms (like in Shotokan sensei's video explanations of the kata. )