Pages

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

2014/04/30 Heian halfway - Back Stance

Muto_sensei, Kon_sensei
  • Kihon
  • Kumite
  • Kata

Very tired. I think I'm making progress with my form. I still have not gotten used to kokutsu-dachi (back stance).

Muto-sensei gave me a diagram today of it today.  That made me feel even more as if my form is lacking.   I practiced it yesterday while at the park. I feel like I  am getting better. I need some one-on-one instruction. Here is the diagram. It is all in Japanese of course.  Some of the characters are old and no longer in use as simpler forms have taken their place.  You should b e able to click on the diagram for a larger view.
The first thing I noticed is that I have had my back knee pointed out and slightly to the back.  In this diagram it looks like the back knee is bent slightly forward.  I guess this would be a better position to push your self forward.   One thing Muto-sensei told me before with front stance (zenkutsu-dachi) is to keep my front knee bent slightly in, and to draw my legs in with my inner thigh muscles.  He said this is better to defend against a kick to leg/knee.

Kumite

Not much to say here. Flower did the first two rounds. We did no free sparring today.  Muto-sensei told A to まじめにやりなさいよ (basically, "take it seriously", or "quit fooling around".)  This is the second time A has been told this.  A didn't even notice he was being spoken to as was confirmed with conversations with him later.  He seemed surprised when he realized Muto-sensei had told HIM to quit fooling around.

There are certainly plenty of young children from the ages of 3 to 8 who can train seriously and still have fun.  However, I am more and more convinced that for my children, starting at 4 and 6 was too early.  They are not ready to get "serious" about anything.  If it is not play then it is not worth doing.  Well, maybe that is not completely correct, but at least partially it is.  For Flower, who is now 5, she just wants to have fun.  She has no feelings of wanting to beat someone or of wanting to get a new belt.  She might find the prospect of getting a different color belt nice but only in the sense that she is interested in colors and clothes in general. And so I don't intend on starting our littlest one at least until she is 6 if not later.  Unlike wrestling from when I was a child, Karate can be much more expensive.  You don't need all the protective gear for wrestling and there are no ranking tests to take and thus pay money for.  You just train and compete.

Kata

Kon-sensei had us go slowly through the Heian kata concentrating on how our stance is halfway through steps like moving into gedan barai or stepping through kokutsu-dachi (back stance) when doing knife-hand block.

I was concentrating on keeping my balance and trying to keep my "axis" stable like Niida-sensei taught me.