Pages

Saturday, April 12, 2014

200 punches, 100 kicks - Jitte - Wankan

Muto-sensei, Kon-sensei
  • Kihon
  • Kumite
  • Kata

Kihon

  • Sonoba chokuzuki 
  • Sonoba kibadachi chokuzuki (其の場 騎馬たち 直突き)
     - between these two we did about 200 punches.

Ido Kihon 移動基本

  • Gedan barai kamaete - oizuki 5-hon
    • Mawatte Gedan barai kamaete - oizuki 5-hon
  • Ageuke
  • Going backwards - Ageuke - gyakuzuki combination
  • Soto uke
  • Uchi uke
  • Maegeri x 3
    • Kebanashi x3
    • Jodan maegeri x 3
      • Kebanashi x 3 
  • Mawashigeri x 3
    • jodan mawashigeri x 3
  • Kibadachi yokogeri x 3
    • Kebanashi x 3
    • Jodan yokogeri x3 
    • Kebanashi x 3

For most of the kicks Muto-sensei has us do chudan (mid level kicks / body kicks?), jodan (upper level kicks), kebanashi (kicks focussing on quickly bringing your foot back from the kick) versions.  So we'll do chudan maegeri, chudan maegeri kebanashi, jodan maegeri, jodan maegeri kebanashi.  Sometimes he tells us to do "kekomi", which is to kick concentrating on kicking forward out and into the opponent. We usually do 3 kicks across, turn around and do 3 kicks back.  So we do around 60 to 100 kicks. I really would like more drill work and instruction on kicks.

I think one point where our practice is lacking is there is not enough time for reflection or for asking questions.  I think we COULD ask questions more during the drilling and he would be happy to answer.  However, we have 90 minutes or 120 minutes only per session.  Physically, that's enough, but mentally, we need more time to think about and talk about what we are doing.  I have many questions that come to mind during practices.  Maybe I should start asking them? 

Tips

  • Take big steps
  • Make sure you are keeping your feet shoulder width apart

Kumite

  • Sanbon kumite (This is "yakusoku kumite")
    • Jodan tsuki (ageuke), chudan tsuki (soto uke)
  • Ippon Jiyu Kumite (single strike free yakusoku kumite - you can receive the attacks anyway you want.
    • Jodan, chudan , maegeri, mawashi geri( )
  • Jiyu Ippon Kumite (yakusoku)
    • Take two steps then attack on the third step, then three steps back, keeping fists up and eye on your opponent/partner
  • Kaeshi waza (make three quick strikes or kicks. This is faster and you are given more freedom.  It is the last type of practice before completely free kumite)
  • Jiyu Kumite (free sparring)

I would like more time and a partner my size, to ask questions and experiment with moves during jiyu kumite.  I do a lot of visualization  after practice as I think about and recall how each member attacked or blocked when I worked with them.  Most people are too slow to hit me very often.  Some members are so fast my block comes up only after they have already hit me and retracted their foot/fist. Sometimes I read their body movement wrong.  Sensei says to kick with the ball of your foot during mawashi geri, but perhaps that is too dangerous to do in practice.

I feel as if I should be blocking those front kicks with a much stronger downward block (gedan barai), but I'm afraid of hurting the other members.  Actually, there is only one member who is close to my size who frequently uses maegeri.  I'll have to ask some of the members and maybe Kon-sensei to see if it is alright to block those kicks with more power.  It's the same for the punches too.  If I don't block them with more power they just get past my block.

Since we don't have anyone close to my size I think I'll have to test many things for the first time at a tournament.  ぶつけ本番

Kata

  • Heian Shodan
  • Heian Nidan
  • Heian Sandan
  • Heian Yondan
  • Heian Godan
  • Jitte
  • Wankan