Pages

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Energy renewed! - Tekki shodan

Muto-sensei, Kon-sensei

As always, the practice was structured like this:
  • Kihon
  • Kumite 
  • Kata
However, today, at the start, after doing our bows, Muto-sensei called out the members who had moved up a level and presented each with a certificate of their new level.  Many of us had new belts for this practice and there was a different energy, more energy, than usual.  People practiced with more concentration and things were more "karate" like.  Muto-sensei took this opportunity to praise us for our new energy and to instruct us a little on some of the finer points of practice etiquette?

Tips: 

  • Naotte - When sensei says, Naore!, you should quickly and in one movement, cross your arms in front of you and bring them down and out to your sides.
  • Shuto uke, again someone was reminded that your forearm and hand should be straight  like a knife or a sword.  
  • Do the movements like you mean business.  You are practicing for a fight. Don't do the moves with spaghetti arms!
  • Mawatte - When sensei says "Mawatte!", you should turn around quickly, as if sensei just told you to look out, you're being attacked! 

Kumite


Hannah did well today, doing kumite from 3 bon kumite, ippon kumite, kaeshi waza, and then ducked out.  When she left sensei had us start jiyu kumite.  Some of the kids perhaps don't like to or feel uncomfortable sparring with me.  Maybe because of my relative size or poor skill and awkwardness.  I really enjoy the jiyu kumite (free sparring).  I still have no idea what I'm doing.

Kata

Heian Shodan
Heian Nidan
Heian Sandan
Heian Yondan
Heian Godan
Jitte
Wankan
Teki Shodan

This was the first time that we have done Tekki Shodan since I started. I have never tried it and the other non-black belts could not do it well.  I am still learning Heian Godan, Jitte and Wankan, although they are getting more familiar to me now.

Wam-up

I had taken the day off of work this day and so we were able to go to the gym early.  The kids ran around and played.  We also did two sets of dirty (half) dozens. A workout I did as a kid for wrestling practice.  You run across the gym and then get down and do a push-up.  Then run back and do two push-ups.  Then run back and do three push-ups, etc, until you reach a dozen.  We only went to 6.  Then Aspen decided we should do the same thing with 6 second side planks.   After the other members arrived we did some push-ups and sit-ups too.  Hannah rode on my back for my push-ups.

Leg swings and flexibility

I did some leg swings as part of my warm-up based on a post on the Fighting Chicken's blog you can find here: http://www.24fightingchickens.com/2008/09/08/30-days-to-greater-flexibility/. Today is Friday and my legs and other parts of my body are still sore.

After that I was able to grill one of the parents on the meaning of the various things on the judging sheet we got back from our belt test.