Pages

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

05/07/2014 Look where you kick

Muto-sensei, Kon-sensei

Kihon
Kumite
Kata

When practicing kihon or kata, do you ever find yourself doing the moves without looking where you are striking?  I don't know how much practicing kihon or kata will prepare one for sparring but, I do think that the image training aspect of these exercises would help a little.  Doing these exercises with the the best form you can muster, with the most speed, accuracy and power that you can put into them is surely going to benefit you in a physical way by strengthening your muscles and getting your heart rate up.  But more than that, I have been thinking that imagining your target will help you practice being more aware of your opponent.

Muto-sensei reminded me, laughingly, that I need to be looking where I am kicking!

We have had two visitors the last two classes.  They seemed kind of shy.  Hopefully they will join.  I don't know if we were very impressive to them.  Muto-sensei probably should have had us do some free sparring so they could watch the better members in action.  That would have been more inspiring than just kihon, yakusoku kumite, and kata.

Flower went even farther through the series of kumite today than last time.  Although she didn't really do kihon and didn't do any kata.

I am in the process of learning all the English terms. As I learn them I will start using those terms instead.  It will make it easier to type.
空手用語の英語を覚えつつあります。覚えた用語を使っていこうと思います。そのほうが入力しやすそうです。たまには日本語で入力してもいいかもしれません。