Pages

Monday, June 2, 2014

Rehab - lying hip abduction KICKS!

I am feeling like my hamstring is getting better, maybe. But to tell you the truth, I really don't think it will ever get better.  I think the only thing I'll be able to do is to give it more support by strengthening the muscles around it.  Plus, my toe, which I had a fibroma taken off of from the bottom, is healing up well.  I think I'll be able to start Karate practice again tomorrow.  The only part I really worry about is doing front stance, jumping and free sparring.  And I think start running again.  Even though doctors and physical therapists on the Internet say you should not run until the pain goes away, my doctor and physical therapist doesn't seem to think so.  So I'll start running.  My weight has gone up to 79 kg, I have to do something since I can't stop putting food in my mouth.

I am working with renewed "will" at my rehab exercises.  They have given me so many different things to do that I can't find the time and the place to do them all.  It takes 30 minutes for stretching and at least 30 minutes or more to do the strength exercises.  That leaves no time to do karate specific exercises.

However, I did discover this morning that I can do my lying hip abductions as a karate exercise as well.   While lying on your side on the floor with your arm folded as a pillow for you head and with your body tilted slightly forward, lift your top leg up and bring it down slowly and repeat.  You can make this more karate specific by bringing your leg up to your knee as you would to practice a good side snap kick, and then kicking up, holding it for a second and bringing your foot back to your knee.

This exercise works your hip flexors and your gluteus medius muscles and probably some others as well.

I am using Redy Gym log still but have hopes for a Gym Hero app for Android appearing in the future.  WeightTraining.com will be releasing an app for Android soon.  I have started using their site more.  I have used DailyBurn tracker for along time, which I really like.  If it had more love from DailyBurn it would be even better.  Buckeyeoutdoors.com still is my favorite.  As long as Buckeyeoutdoors.com lives, I'm sure I'll still be using it.

Speak of the Devil, it looks like I can't access Buckeyeoutdoors.com again!