Pages

Monday, August 11, 2014

Belt Test and Practice

This post is unfinished.

A and I had our second belt test today.  A moved up one level from 11 to 10.  I moved up 4 levels?? from 8 to 4.

I   was surprised and a bit confused because the contents of the test where not what I had expected.  I was given a sheet with the contents of the tests for all levels up to black belt, however, it was not the same as the actual test.  I was asked to do skills which we almost never practice.

For one, and I may have heard the guy wrong, because I was having a hard time hearing this guy again, just like the last time, but it sounded like he told us to do jodan tsuki.  We never do jodan tsuki.  Did I hear that right?  Next we were told to do jodan maegeri kekomi.  We don't often do this either and doing any kick to the upper level is very difficult for me with my short muscles.  Next we were told to get into horse stance and do jodan yokogeri kekomi.  We have rarely, if ever, practiced this.  However, kekomi is easier for me to do than keage.  I may be forgetting some of what we were asked to do.  We might have also done knife hand block in back stance but I can't remember.

Kihon - In list form

  1. gedan barai -> jodan tsuki
  2. mawatte, gedan barai -> ??? age uke??
  3. mawatte, gedan barai -> jodan maegeri kekomi
  4. mawatte, gedan barai -> kiba-dachi -> jodan yoko kekomi

(all done 3 times each)

NOTE: If you are not sure of what you have been asked to do, ask! Repeat to the tester what you thought you heard.  If you still can't understand his muffled Japanese, ask him to show it to you!

Kumite

Kumite was the same as the last time I took a belt test.  3-bon kumite.  However, this time I had to do it with a 5-year-old!  She's a good 5-year-old, but I wasn't sure if I was supposed to ignore her heigth and just do it as if she were my height, which would make it impossible for her to do her blocks right, or if I should try to lower my strikes so that she could actually do a soto-uke for my chudan tsuki. Muto-sensei is always telling us just to do it for your own height and let the person receiving adjust so I guess that is probably how I should have done it.

Kata - As expected we did Heian Nidan.


We had a guest instructor come from another city to help with the test and he also led us through the practice after the test.  We did a number of drills that we never do at our own practices. For one thing, we did at least 20 of everything.  Often times we did 40 or 80 of one skill/drill.

We did some combinations that I had never done before. For example we did chudan gyakuzuki, Jodan zuki, chudan zuki.

I got lots of advice that I am still trying to recall.  One was to put my hikite a little higher, to just above my belt. 



We worked on yokogeri with Kon-sensei.
For Yoko keage-
Point your knee in the direction you will kick then turn your hips and finish the kick.
Yoko kekomi-
Raise for knee up with it pointing in the direction you r body is facing, not the direction you are kicking, and then rotate your hips and finish the kick.
Kon-sensei said he had just learned to do it this way that day.

Keep your knee over your toe in front stance
Raise your knee up high when front kicking (kakae komi!)
Try hard to reach as far as you can when punching. 
Follow through with your whole body when launching an offensive as it leaves little room for your opponent to counter.
Step quickly, as quickly as you can
Take big steps
Get deep in your stances
Don't let your body bob up and down as you step etc. Keep your head at the same level as you take steps the steps.

A
-take wider steps when moving
-master Heian Sandan
-3本組手をしっかりする (Not sure how to translate this.  Basically, he needs to improve his 3-bon kumite).
He got marked down for
Kihon-
Kiai
着眼
前屈立ち
後屈立ち
突き
受け
脇の締め
腰の回転
腰の安定
スナップ
足刀
力強さ
運足
目標の正確さ
演武線