Pages

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

2014/08/27 Class

Muto-sensei

Kihon
Kumite
Kata


Kihon - I am still keeping in mind what I learned recently and the advice I was given.

  • Get you knees up high when you kick.  
  • Practice taking your steps quickly. 
  • Take big steps (it IS a LUNGE punch after all). 
  • Try to reach as far as you can when you punch   

Our space is a bit small and when we line up two rows deep, I almost always have to line up off-set from the other members so I don't run into them during kihon.

Not so many members were present at this practice.  The number worked out so that you had to work with the same person twice for each round during kumite practice.


Kata

We did all the Heian kata.  Muto-sensei said that I need to master all of these, especially Heian Yondan because that will mostly likely be the next one I have to do for the next belt test I take.  As we were doing it I DID feel that I needed to work on it some more.

We did Wankan and then Kanku Dai.

It was the first time, I think, that I had seen and tried Kanku Dai.  It is long but it looks like it should be easy enough to learn and remember since it has most of the elements of the Heian Kata.  Some things that are not in the Heian Kata that I remember are upper and lower knife hand blocks.  A two handed forward thrusting uppercut of some sort that ends with you "falling" to the floor.  I will have to look at my Kata book and work through it a few times.  Then I might start working on the Jiin Kata since I almost have Jion memorized.  Which reminds me, I am still not 100% sure of what to do with my hands during Jitte.