Pages

Monday, November 3, 2014

Kanku Dai, Bassai Dai and Jion

Muto-sensei, Kon-sensei

Kihon
Kumite
Kata

I have been too busy to write down what we have done in practice lately. I think we have had two practices since I last wrote.  Muto-sensei has moved me into the other group to practice Kata with Kon-sensei.  There are two black belts, two brown belts and two purple belts.  Muto-sensei is pretty confident that I can get my brown belt soon.  I'm not so confident.  At the very least, I don't think I deserve a brown belt yet.  I'm not even sure I deserve a purple belt.  Recently I feel as if I have been falling behind.  That young blue belt is going to pass me up soon if I'm not careful.  He kicks fairly well.  Especially his front kick.  He really gets his hips into it and thus his kick has reach.  He is very flexible too and could already do an upper level roundhouse kick when he started.  I am getting better with my kicks but am still far away from being effective with anything I do.

Kihon

At the last practice we did a lot of combinations.  I really need to try and recreate and practice these at home.  A needs instruction on the basic motions for the basic moves like downward block, upward rising block, knife hand block, inside block, outside block.  It wouldn't hurt to have one practice where we spent a third of the time going over how to perform these basic blocks.

三本突?? (sanbon zuki) 追い突きの連突き - If I remember correctly, 上段突き, 中段逆突き、中段突き
後進、上げ受けから中段逆突き。
後進、手刀受けから貫手(逆突きの貫手 や 前屈立ちの貫手)

*下段払い、前屈立ちヨリ、前進、上段突き、逆突き、中段突き (I'm guessing the timing would be 1,23.

I can't remember exactly what we did for Kihon.  But, with a belt test available in December, I'm looking at what might be on the test for me.  It might look something like the two columns below. I'm not sure what 三本突 is.  It is so hard to find information on the Internet because there are so many different styles of karate, and even those in the same "style", still teach things differently.  It's crazy un-centralized.  Back to Sanbonzuki.  I know it is a three punch combination.  But what are those three punches?  Upper-level chasing punch, followed by a mid-level chasing punch?, or is that a on the spot mid-level punch?, finished off with a reverse punch.  I found a link but I have no guarantee that it is the same as what I'll be asked to do. See the link here: http://xn--wbtq4a97au6gztehz5b.com/entry21.html


 5級~4級
  1. 前屈立下段払ヨリ 
    中段追突
    前進
  2. 廻って下段払
    逆突
    前進
  3. 下段払ヨリ
    揚受,逆突
    後進
  4. 前屈立,下段払ヨリ
    外受,逆突
    前進
  5. 廻って下段払
    前蹴り
    前進
  6. 騎馬立ヨリ
    横蹴上
    前進
  7. 騎馬立ヨリ
    横蹴込
    前進
  8. 前屈立ヨリ
    廻蹴り
    前進

 3級

  1. 前屈立,下段払ヨリ
    中段追突
    前進
  2. 廻って下段払
    三本突
    前進
  3. 下段払ヨリ
    揚受、逆突
    前進
  4. 手刀受、逆突
    後屈ヨリ,前屈
    前進
  5. 前屈立下段払ヨリ
    外受、逆突
    前進
  6. 廻って下段払
    前蹴り
    前進
  7. 騎馬立ヨリ
    横蹴上
    前進



Kumite

I have many things I need to work on as I will always.  One of those many things is Hikite.  I need to pull my limbs back dramatically and quickly and even in a bit of an over-exaggerated way if I want to get the points.  Make contact with a 上段突きじょうだんづき? Make sure you pull your fist back hard and fast to your hip and turn your body into hanmi and pull you elbow back far so it sticks out behind you far. Or something like that.

Kicks

There is something that just doesn't click with Kihon kicks and real-life kicks done during sparring (kumite).  The just don't seem like the same thing.  For one, either I'm understanding how do to the kihon kicks wrong (probably) or I'm just not physically flexible nor strong enough to do them (also of high probability).

Kata

I am still working with the upper level belts.  We are working with Kon-sensei (sandan).  We worked on Kankudai the last time and this time we worked on Bassai Dai and Jion.

I got the feeling that none of the members have Bassai Dai memorized well.  I tried to get help from one of them but he kind of gave me a quick half-answer and then skirted away.  That's OK.  I've got materials that I can refer to and THE INTERNET!  I just don't have the freedom or the space and time to practice.

I caught a glimpse of the other members practicing with Muto-sensei.  They had one last Kata to do and A had wandered off to the side because he wanted to stop doing kata when Muto-sensei called him back over and told him there was only one more to do and to buck up and finish it out.

I am having a hard time deciding what to do about the next test.  Do we take it or not?  If we don't and the others do, then it is likely that many people will move up a belt and A and I won't.  If we DO take it, then there is the chance that I will move up a level to become a brown belt (3-kyu).  After the last tournament (my very first tournament), I really don't want to put on a brown belt and enter into a tournament.  I don't feel I am at that level.

My new plan, assuming I can make myself do it, is to get up early most mornings and walk or run to the ski slope and then practice karate in the parking lot there.  I need to improve my speed, strength and coordination and a 40-year-old man like  myself is not going to be able to do that with two practices a week.