Pages

Monday, December 29, 2014

I'm just a believer

I'm just a believer that things will get better. Some can take it or leave it but I don't wanna let it go!

A and H and I all had a great practice. For the last two practices A has done well but H had not.  My wife talked to A, and the other members and parents all encouraged him and I guess he was having a good day and so he had a couple of good practices.  Practices where he didn't look unhappy.  He made a pinky promise with one of the black belts that if he practiced hard, that they would play together later.

For H, at the start of the last practice she started floating around in her bubble again.  This time, instead of ignoring her so that I could get my own workout in, I stopped and worked with her.  She had sat down on the mat. With a little bit of hands on work, I was able to get her smiling and enjoying the practice again.

Things are going to get better.

Considering how expensive this all is I don't know why I am so insistent on them sticking to this. I know the value of quitting, but I want them to learn the value of hard work and persistence.  You might say that they could learn the value of hard work and persistence doing something else, something that they enjoy more.  And you might be right in thinking so.  Learning karate, and sticking with it until one gets a black belt or even a 2nd, 3rd, 4th level black belt, might not help them in school and it might not help them in life after they out in the world.  In my own experience, I wrestled for around 10 years and it is a part of me now.  I still long for it.  I loved it.  I didn't always loved it, but it gave me goals and challenges and good friends.  I gave me the confidence to challenge new things.  Running long distance had done the same thing for me.  I never thought I'd be able to run more than 30 minutes, let along 42.195 kilometers.  But I have run a full marathon, as a matter of fact, many.  I even finished a 100 kilometer ultra marathon once.  Knowing that you can do the work and make the commitment to prepare for and finish something like that is a real confidence booster.

Ah, but I babble.  A and H are having good positive feelings toward karate now and I know that it will be hard work on my part to keep them that way until they start to take off on their own.