Pages

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Review, Practice, Review, Practice

Muto-sensei

The three "K"s.

Kihon
Kumite
Kata

First some good news. Did I tell you already?  A, after the last tournament, is interested in Karate again.  He doesn't want to miss a practice!  With his renewed enthusiasm, his mother has agreed to let us continue!  Yippee!  It's interesting for me and is helping me get in shape.  It would be hard to get the same level of full body exercise if we quit. And now on to more regular logging...

Muto-sensei was a bit tired perhaps?  Or maybe it was because of the little kids, A, H and one new one who is only 4, but it seemed like it took forever to get through Kumite practice.  Kihon wasn't too long.  Doing this basic yakusoku kumite is important, I see, as it builds trust and communication between members and helps you prepare for the money making scam.  What?! Did I say that?  Woops.  I meant, it helps you prepare for the BELT TESTS.

During Kata practice I realised I need to practice more and I'm beginning to doubt my ability to remember things.  Maybe it's just remembering things in this way, moving your body and learning the steps.  Maybe that's why I could never learn to dance, or can't remember melodies.

I always am unsure of the moves in the second half of Heian Nidan.  We did Heian Shodan, Nidan, Sandan, Yondan, Godan, Kankudai, Jion and Bassaidai.  I had a hard time recalling ALL of them.  I hope this is not a sign that my brain function is decreasing.  I hope it was just because I was tired.

As soon as the roads clear of snow and ice, I'll start practicing the kata again in the mornings.  Right now, if I do, I end up slipping on the ice or tripping on chunks of frozen snow.