Pages

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Running

Running along the river at 5 am
My wife and I and two of our four kids went to the big city to visit my wife's sister and do some shopping.  I brought my running gear (forgot my headphones) and was able to stick to my schedule and get a speed session done along the river.  Here was the plan:

  • 1 mile warm-up
  • 7 x 800 m fast at about 5:00 to 5:15 per km pace.
  • 1 mile cool-down.

I got up early and it didn't take as long as I thought it would.  I didn't want to go back too early and wake everyone up so I went to the park, which was accessible as most of the snow had melted, and did Kata.  Mostly I worked on Bassai-dai.

I kinda had it learned but wasn't sure on a lot of points.  It is unfortunately, hard to get personal instruction or ask questions.  No one does.  Sometimes I ask questions but no one else does.  They just do whatever we are doing the best they can and hope if they are doing it wrong that the instructor will correct them.  I'm not saying that he doesn't, but there is just one of him and lots of use making lots of mistakes.  He can't stop us for every little thing.

Bassai-dai.
1) step forward into cross-stance and perform a sort of a morote uke uchi uke.
2) turn 180 and uchi-uke
3) uchi-uke in gyaku-hanmi
4) turn 180 and soto uke in gyaku-hanmi
5) uchi-uke
6) turn right 90 degrees, bending your knees, bring your right fist in a down sweeping motion and up into position for soto-uke.
7) Soto-uke, uchi-uke in gyaku-hanmi
8) turn 90 deg. to the left (facing front again), keeping your right hand in hikite position on your hip and bring your left hand to same (right) hip while turning to the front.
:
block, punch, block, punch, knife hand, knife hand, knife hand, step back knife hand, left hand on right wrist, pull and downward kick and KIAI, turn 180 and knife hand, knife hand, step back, morote-jodan-uke, hasami uchi, oitsuki
:
:
25) perform a move like in Heian Godan, front stance, right hand open palm facing up lower level hakama grab, then pull up into backhanded upper level block (like manji uke?)
26) turn 180 downward block in kiba-stance,
27) like in Heian Godan, after downward block in kiba-dachi, right hand hikite, left hand slow out with palm open,
28) mikazuki kick to open palm, empi
29) funky gedan barai, one, two-three, (move 30,31)
32) hands to left hip preparing for
33) yama zuki
34 thru 37 repeat 32-33
And then there is 38 and 39.  I'm not sure how these work.  I think it's like sweeping a leg and striking with uraken.
40) knife hand
41) knife hand 45 degrees back and to the right while looking to the front
42) knife hand 45 degrees front left and KIAI.


I'm still trying to memorize and perfect the kata that people have taken the time to teach me and I keep putting Tekki Shodan on the shelf.    The above is from Tuesday.  Today, Wednesday, I went over the Heian Kata and then did Gankaku, Kanku-dai, Jion and worked a little on Tekki Shodan.  I didn't have enough time to get all the way through it.   It's a start though.   The place where I practiced during lunch is surrounded by cherry trees.  It would be nice to be able to do it again while they are in bloom.