Pages

Friday, June 26, 2015

Early morning, in the park kata practice

We now have 5 new members with the possibility of a few more coming for a visit.  The three newest members are very young.  So now we finally have a group of about 6 young members. This means my kids will have some people their own size to train with.  This is good.  It motivates A and H to work harder to be good examples and to help the newbs.


Early Morning Kata Practice

I am still having troubles getting back to the starting line with some of the Heian Kata.  Muto-sensei has told me again and again that I need to fix that.  So this morning I spent 45 minutes outside in the park just trying to figure out what I was doing wrong or how I could get back to the correct position.  For Heian Yondan, I am making more of an effort to step further and go further with the little "leap" done before you turn around to come back.  After that I try to make the rear-stance wedge blocks done at a shallower angle as well.  Keeping those two things in mind helped me get back to the start line where I was supposed to be.

Muto-sensei told me that you should never have to step forward from your final move back into yoi position at the end of your kata.  You should be stepping back.  After looking at competition videos and "how to" videos for Heian Yondan, it looks pretty difficult for people to end up exactly where they start.  So if you start with your heels on the line, it is pretty difficult to end with your heels on the line.  It looks like most people are ending a little further back, with their toes on the line or behind it, instead.

I had to practice Heian Yondan, Heian Sandan and then I did Wankan.  All of them I had to adjust so that I was ending up back on the line. I'll have to practice them more, of course, so I can always do them correctly and then even more so I can do them well.

Finally I spent some time working on Tekki Shodan.  However I still need to spend some time studying the diagrams and videos as I'm not 100% sure I'm doing it correctly.  That one will take some practice before I can do it quickly.  I'm just not coordinated enough.