Pages

Monday, September 26, 2016

Practice notes

Muto-sensei

There were not so many kids there for this practice.   We had makiwara that Muto-sensei made for us and brought during the last gasshuku. I got it out so the kids could use it.  Only a few of the kids used it.  I couldn't get Ross to use it.  Mary used it once though.

As usual, we did Kihon, Kumite and Kata.

N.Y. gave me some advice on Kumite.  So did Crown. N.Y.'s advice was that I could sweep the opponent's hand away to the side and strike.  Crown's advice was to precede a kick with a few punches.  He said I was telegraphing and there was no way I could get a hit.

Kata
We did Basai-sho, Kanku-sho and Unsu.  I have almost memorized all the moves for the first two but it was my first attempt to learn Unsu.  Of course I can't remember it at all.  He then us all do one kata as a performance and told me to do Kankudai.  He keeps having me do Kankudai.  Not always, but often.  I never know what he is going to ask me to do and I have no time to practice.  The next test is in probably in early December.  I need to practice for that.  One of my biggest problems is that I can't do mawashi geri and I can't do side snap kick with my right leg.  My deteriorating hips just can't do the movement for the side snap kick and my hips and poor flexibility won't allow me to do mawashi geri correctly.

I have one more foot race on the calendar that I am preparing for and when that is over I will then cut back on my running and use that time to practice karate in the mornings.  (in the snow and on the ice...)