Pages

Thursday, October 20, 2016

Practice notes

Crown instructor

We had practice and the format was familiar.

Kihon
Kumite
Kata

However the kihon was different, the kumite was different, and the kata was a bit short and a bit different.

Kihon

Instead of doing everything ten times, we did twice as many things half as many times.  This was good and bad I suppose.  The good thing about it is that it is much more interesting with the added variety.  The bad thing is that we get less practice of each.  I'm going to suggest to Crown that he spend some time one of these days focusing on little details, like how to correctly perform mawashi geri or other basic moves.  I can't do it correctly.  Maybe he could spend a few minutes each practice focusing on one of the kihon moves while still practicing the others.

Kumite

For kumite we did 3 bon kumite and then kizami zuki 5 hon in randori style.  So each member practiced it (and the other moves) about 8 times.  Then gyaku zuki 5 hon x 8 times. We did Mawashi geri to ura mawashi geri (?) 5 times x 8.  One person would hold their gloved fists up at the appropriate heighth for their current partner and the partner would practice kicking with mawashi geri and then bringing the kicking leg down and up around to kick the gloves with the ball of the foot (underside of the foot).  The kids looked like they were having fun for the most part.  Even Ross was less recalcitrant.

Kata

We went through the Heian Kata and then again, like last time, practice tournament style kata, with each member choosing which kata they wanted to perform.  I did Jion.

Advice on Jion
Keep your core tight.  You are leaning or your upper body is twisting when performing the movements when it shouldn't be.

I need to focus on keeping my core tight.  I need to work on strengthening my core for this.

That was last night.  I had some free time today so I practiced Jion and Unsu again during my lunch break.  I really need to practice in front of a mirror or videotape myself doing it.  I saw once a site where people posted videos of themselves doing something like learning a new skill or working out for 100 days.  I don't know if I could ever do something for 100 days straight.  My life is too out of my control, but it would be great if I could get control of my life, even if just a small portion of it, for 100 days, or for ever....